November 22, 2006

Meetings (a series)

Ronn of the Ronn show and I met sometime in Junior High School... I think... Or early in High school. The problem with my remembery is someone is insinuated early on and then they grow into recognician. So I knew Ronn in perifery and later it defined itself into a friendship.

In high school Ronn and I were in Swimming and Water Polo. Between classes and during lunch we would hang out. We mutually enjoyed the morning radio jocks Lhoman and Barkley. and the Marx brothers.

Ronn, like most of the guys I knew, would talk about the various hobbies he had and I held a goodly amount of belief I was being taken for a ride. I later found out that like the Eagle scout he was\is honesty was his virtue.

He raced moterbikes and was constantly rebuilding his. He taught himself rock guitar even gave lessons. Later he decided to become a chef, and he did. At one point he fancied himself a stand up comic and headed up to the LA clubs. I guess describing him as a 'do-er' is accurate.

Most of my HS life was based in and around Chior and 'hanging out' with the tech crew for the plays. My post HS life was based in and around my Church Youth group. Ronn was in and around for all of that.

At some point Ronn vanished off my radar. Only to be reconnected via Shoo and the blogs. I missed out on him joining the military and flying Helicopters. Thats Ronn for you. Seeing an oppertunity and going for it.

I do have a defining moment in my life that Ronn was directly involved in. I had a perchant to take myself way to seriously. I had a fear of being laughed at or doing something foolish infront of others. I would respond in anger.

One day we were hanging out at the high school near the Chior room and Ron was goofing around on a bike. He tried a move that ended up with him on his back. Some of the folks around me started laughing at him and immediatly I got mad that they would respond like that.

Before I could say or do anything I noticed that Ronn was laying there laughing at himself. In joining in the situation had filp flopped and the group was now 'laughing with him'. This diffused my anger and caused an epiphany. If I could just loosen up and see the difference between my being a fool and acting foolish, it would cause a lot less angst.

Ronn and I actually had quite a few adventures. I learned to Ski with Ronn. We were the cooks for a snow outting for the Youth Group. We had to figure out how to quickly defrost Turkeys. (I still have to find those pictures...

If anything I wish I would have adopted his follow through more then I did. Taken a few more chances.

Nice to be in contact again.

3 comments:

ronnwaters said...

I had forgotten all about the great turkey feast. That was a great time: We stayed up all fricken night thawing these frozen solid giant turkeys, listening to the Plazmatics and Gruppo Sportivo. Then we cooked and served a multi course dinner to the youth group and then went to Carls' jr. for a burger!
We also ate brekfast together everyday for most of high school: Lee would come over on the way to morning practice and knock on my window to wake me up--my room was on the second story!
There are many more of the "Adventures of Lee and Ronn" that are flooding back. Thanks for triggering that. I had forgotten how important those events were to who I became.
Thank you Lee.

ronnwaters said...

Another thought:
When I die, will you write my obit?

Tina said...

Who else did Lee expose to Gruppo Sportivo?