August 26, 2006

Robin to the Bathroom!

We got rid of our parking area and now have a masterbedroom. My daughters old room is now a walk in closet (it was a very tiny bedroom and now a decent closet). The second bathroom has now been officially started. We had a toilet and there used to be a tub. The tub was let go for contractual reasons, in its place a rather poorly built set of shelves was installed.

My pop was over on my weekend (read Thursday) and assessed what would be needed to put in a shower. My father is the best construction plumber alive today. I have never met a journeyman plumber who was not impressed with his skills and knowledge. His expertise also goes into housing construction and electrical wiring. He is a very handy guy to have around.

My wife and I had already picked out a shower that is good for a tight space and with our lowes gift cards my youngest and I went out and secured the showers employment and then I had to pick out the shower valve and head and a matching one for the vanity.

Growing up with the worlds greatest plumber I picked up a few things about being a craftsman and how to wrestle various home improvement projects. I also grew up with the Reeves Journal and the UA magazine which had various write ups and ads for plumbing supplies.

This puts me in a quandry for what brand to get. My pop likes Moen, however, thats because they have better discounts and are easiest to install. I had a Delta faucet but the handle snapped off one day when my daughter was using it, likewise the price fister just wasnt secure enough into the sink and the knobs would bang your knuckles if you were not dilligent.

I got a peerless for the kitchen sink and our other bathroom and so far I have liked the solid construction and the copper innards. So after viewing the displays for a good 15 min I got what I think will be a good setup for us. Next I need to get all the prep work done so when my pop comes back up thursday I can run the plumbing and electrical.

fun...

1 comment:

Tina said...

And when Bob reads this, he'll be happy to hear we had Trevor & Diana spend two days pounding out nails so we could reuse the wood. Of course, it's heartwood cedar, so why wouldn't we want to reuse it?

Our toilet is sitting all alone in a very rustic torn-apart room, with at least 4 different linoleums showing thru on the floor.

:)