August 22, 2006

Wireless

During my vacation I set up two wirless networks up in Canada. One at my Father-in-Laws and one at my sis-in laws.

My Sister had plunged into DSL after getting a laptop. She would have to set up the DSL modem and the system every time she wanted to go online and then put that tangle of wires away afterwards.

Aside from putting a nick in her flooring the install went fairly well. There was a little oddness with her ISP but that too ironed itself out. Now she can IM with my wife, tech is a good thing.

My Father-in-Laws setup had one major stumbling block. His password was not correct and the hold times for his ISP was 40-minutes. Knowing that most people bail after 10 min, I actually hung in there for 20-min and spoke to a tech.

I really get a kick out of phone tech's, mostly cuz they have to deal with the bottom rung of tech savvy people out there. Usually it takes a good five minutes before they realize I know what I'm doing.

Anyways, we have connectivity!!!

The really odd thing to me was the number of wireless networks out there that have zero protection going on. I was reminded of a customer who had signed up through broadband and set up a wireless network and was disgusted at the slow speed.

His ISP tech went out and found out his neighborhood was surfing on his dime :)

3 comments:

Tina said...

And, since it's wireless at both my folks and sister's homes now, we can bring our laptop & don't have to use their computers to go online! Whoohoo!

...maybe level a character or two...

Unknown said...

Free wireless access is one thing. having access to shared folders and printers is another. Or having someone setting up Webservers on your wireless is just wrong. No matter how touchy feely it is.

ronnwaters said...

We had an open network at one of our schools untill we found a HUGE ammount of traffic on the week ends. Someone in a house right behind one of the classrooms was up/down loading for an adult site.
We fixed that one.