October 24, 2006

Doctor Who

I remember watching Doctor who around age 14. It was bad special effects, sets that looked like sets and some great writing and actors who could overcome the lower then Hollywood budget.

Now that the BBC has relaunched the series and Sci-Fi network has been broadcasting the show I find myself in anticipation of the next installment. This is some tight written scripts and characters of depth and charm.

The last broadcast was titled "The Girl in the Fireplace" It revolved around a broken spaceship over 3000 years in the future and the 18th century historical figure Madame de Pompadour. This single episode delt with so many different themes and revelations it was almost dizzying to me. It also prompted me to to look up Madame de Pompadour as well, she was a quite remarkable woman who's contribution to France is still apparent. No wonder the Stevan Moffet (writer) wanted to write something around her.

The most satisfying ending was the final shot which was a great "Oh so THATS the reason" that tied everything together in a great way that in retrospect made it so obvious.

I actually had to watch a second time (thank you tivo) to take it all in.

I really like being able to stand up from watching a show on TV and say, 'now THAT was a good show'

2 comments:

Tina said...

And the kids are addicted too...

Diana was all mad that it got deleted before she got to watch it. Luckily, Tivo lets you restore deleted shows within a certain window of time, so she got to watch it after all.

The current Dr. is played by the guy I saw last as Barty Crouch Jr. in The Goblet of Fire.

Fun stuff.

ronnwaters said...

Thank you for turning me on to the doctor all those years ago. At the time I was much too callow but it must have resonated with me because it stuck in my brain for these many years.
Than-q