June 07, 2007

WIres and sleeping with a vaccum cleaner in your nose.

Okay, so I have been getting the nods around 2:00pm some some days. My doctor wasn't sure if it was my type II or Apnea. So I got to go to this lab with hotel rooms. They had Dish network and I brought a small handful of comics just in case.

So I show up and they get me to my room and I change into my P.J.'s I get to watch some sports center (Ducks win the cup) and fill out some forms. Its a nice twin bed, actually pretty comfortable mattress. The room is clean and decent hotel looking but no windows and there is a fairly obvious camera with an IR light next to it. (You REALLY need to change clothes in the bathroom).

So then you head to a barber chair and they start the process of sanding down bits of skin and applying conductive glue and little tiny wires to various parts of your head shoulders and back. This consists of about one million sixteen wires. These are all linked into a large block that plugs into a receptacle by the bed. Next I head back to the room and sit carefully waiting and watching myth busters.

Next the tech comes in and I get as comfy as possible with all this Medusa crap and get a sensor put into my nose (tickles) and another into my mouth. Okay, now its time to sleep till about 2:00am.

Time passes and around 1:00am I wake up and cannot seem to roll over anymore as either the wires are stuck or there are Lilliputians tying me down Ala Gulliver. I am also parched and have no way of leaving the bed without tearing small bits of myself free from the various electrodes. As luck would have it the SECOND time I asked for assistance a nice lady brought me a glass of water.

I must have drifted off because next thing I know they are going to put me on a CPAP machine for the rest of the night. I get to loose the nose and mouth sensor but now have this clear plastic little critter mating with my nose for the rest of the night.

This CPAP is a reverse vaccum cleaner that keeps positive airflow going up your nose. On the bright side it has a water thingy to add a fine mist and keeps me from gettind dried out. Also I can close off my passage and have it make funny noises through my open mouth. Imagine the worlds longest Rasburry...

So it takes me a good 30min to fall asleep but it seems to go quick cuz my alarm goes off at 5:30am. And it feels like I just went to sleep. Now I have to lay restrained until the tech comes in to remove the various connections from me so I can stand up.

I still have crap in my hair and a good long shower still didnt remove some adhesive.

So now the unofficial results. I had some apnea episodes when I was sleeping on my back. Enough to qualify to try the CEPAP for the rest of the night. This means they have enough results for full evaluation with and without. Which means I do not have to go back.

So now I get to find out the results.

2 comments:

Tina said...

If he needs the c-pap, I get to imagine I'm sleeping next to Darth Vader. Problem is, I always imagine OLD Darth Vader. Young Darth Vader was creepy anyway.

Now Luke Skywalker was a whole different story. I still have my Bubble Gum card collection with pix of Luke & the gang. I should have kept the Barbie-sized Action Figure Carolyn gave me as a joke...

:)

ronnwaters said...

Keep me posted on this. My doctor has been threatening me with a sleep study too.
Then again, she threatens me with diet and exercise and we see how well that's doing...