June 23, 2008

pulling kids outta water

Oddly as it may seem, pulling kids out of water is something I find myself doing. Yesterday Connor and I were running around Mission Park here in Kelowna, a couple were watching their two year old (guess at age there) running around. The park has a three foot channel that is about a foot deep that has something to do with fish breeding. As the mom turned to talk to the dad, the little tyke, made a quick left and ran right towards the water. I was able to blurt out, "Hey little kid stop" thinking the adult voice would make him pause... It didn't He hit the drink and went under like the proverbial rock. So I find myself in a headfirst dive on the bank and fishing him out with my right hand. If I hadn't been there the parents would have been in another second.

So, go back a few years and my nephew Aaron is playing in a jacuzzi at a local hotel and he steps into the middle and sinks. Again I find myself up and reaching for him, not being able to grab him I jump in sweats and all (man those things are heavy when wet, sweats that is...).

Go back prior to being married, Tina and I are at a pool party with people I am meeting and should probably be able to relate how Tina knows them, but I cant. We are sitting chatting whilst various kids are frolicking in the water. I noticed one little kid not quite making the side, her second grab fell short, and again I find myself on the other side of the pool grabbing her wrist and pulling her up and out.

In each of the cases the kids were not in danger for their lives, I just seemed to be the closest. So either I have been in the right place at the right time, or my subconscious, on occasion, can make kids submerge, I prefer to assume the former.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and I learned to swim at the Blue Bouy Swim school in Santa Ana at the same time as mom (you were 1, I was 5, mom 40) You were very young to be a swimmer, and many a person "rescued" you not knowing you could swim. Grandpa Schaefer jumped in our backyard pool w/ his clothes on to save you---you were really upset at being hauled over to the side, and grandpa was anything but a strong swimmer, so it was ironic---he was probably more likely to drown.--Anyway, perhaps you developed a sensitivity and know instinctually who is needing a hand up. :-) sis

Unknown said...

I've had a few of those too. Small insignificant events at the time, but looking back it really would have changed a few things had the little nudges not been there.

Fate is an interesting mistress.