September 15, 2009

Cautiously Optimistic

What do you do when the School bus arrives? For years my kids made it out the door and to the bus with little to no assistance. Yes, on a rare occasion or two they missed.

Connor rides the Short bus, litterally. It comes to the driveway and honks in the morning. Connor requires quite a bit of assistance to get ready for school. If left alone he would be playing in his PJ's when the bus pulled up. I ponder if he would go to school in his nightclothes...

Again, when the bus brings him home we would have someone to greet him. Time passes and kids in collage cannot adjust their schedule. In a few years they will be out in the world, leaving this little detail of life in the hands of Tina and myself.

There is no solution without repercussions. Ideally, Connor would get up, get dressed, make his lunch and busy himself until the bus came. He would leave the house locked up and go off to school. Afterwards he would get off the bus, get inside the house and eat a snack and have some "Me time".

Both Tina and I leave for work before the bus comes. I plan on altering my schedual, if something occurs at work or I change jobs this could become more difficult. Tina can get home before Connor. Her job location and travel time makes little margin of error.

The kids are still at home and they have been working with Connor getting himself off the bus and into the house. Having him do this with no one home gives me angst.

2 comments:

Stella by Starlight said...

We've never met, but I can tell you and Tina are great parents. I admire your commitment (both of you) to your children's well-being and making the effort to change your work schedule so you can see Connor off each morning. I believe Connor and his two siblings will grow up to become wonderful children, due in no small part to you both.

I wish the world were such that more children could have wonderful families and be cherished for who they are.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the kind words.