September 22, 2009

languorous living

There are little things you can do that make things "work better." For instance, setting up the coffee maker the night before. Somehow this act is long and drawn out in the AM. Also, putting my clothing for the work day in the same spot. Getting a routine down in the morning so you get all the important stuff done in short order. Having a key rack and a place for your wallet\purse what have you, that you actually use. Making sure your vehicle is ready to go for the morning. Taking the last few minutes of your work day to compile a list of what to start on the next morning. Using a weekly dinner menu with a coordinated shopping list, so you have what you need on hand for X number of dinners. Go through your bills and stage them so you can pay them on time.

All great stuff! Now DOING THIS and CONTINUING forward! Aye, theres the rub!

Recent surgery has precluded me from doing certain projects that I was intending on doing. Now that I am just starting to be able to walk longer and ride the bike, I feel like I am behind. This too shall pass. Last week I added a morning workout routine to my day. Push ups, curls, shrugs, rows. Nothing intense (a recent self inflicted injury taught me that), a slow progression taking my time. Rebuilding this body if you will.

So I started the Coffee Maker setup at night routine this week. And I am determined to do the weekly accounting weekly! During the typing of this missive I realize I am limiting day to day ambiguity. Providing some structure, order among the chaos, controlling that which I can so to be ready for that I cannot.

Probably just pomp and posturing, still... It has a certain satisfaction when you wake up to fresh coffee.

1 comment:

keeka said...

I humbly admit to attempting quite often to do a lot of the things you mention. I start out fine, but as the weeks go by, I slowly lose the incentive to keep it up.
The coffee thing...I was making it the night before so I could put it in the fridge and have ice coffee in the morning, because hot coffee is not good on a warm morning. Now lately, I have been buying the generic brand of "frappachino" at my grocery store. It costs more than if I make it myself and I feel guilty. So thank you for the reminder that I was trying to accomplish and I will start yet again!