April 24, 2008

Fundamental differences

We agree to disagree on some things. Others we entrench ourselves. When an entrenchment occurs there is no longer a reason to discuss that item.



Quite a bit has gone back and forth about Man made Global warming. The sides are entrenched. However, a cleaner world, being more frugal with our resources and looking towards other solutions then the status quo is readily agreed upon.



Abortion is another entrenched issue. Both sides agree that teen pregnancy is bad and a stable environment for a new child is paramount. People want our future generations to be happy and safe.



I see the role of government is increasingly becomming a set of entrenched issues. There are many issues in our country\world that need attention and resolution. You can get agreement across the board for that fact.



respecting someones opinion and realizing that one sided dialog doesn't do anything is a tough thing to see. Agreeing to disagree is a nice thought, I'm not sure its a practical solution in some cases.


I am optimistic that in the long run, people find the truth and do the right thing.

3 comments:

- Rob said...

Being able to see both sides of an issue can be tough. Personally, I like to figure out how to argue either side of an issue as effectively as I can. I listen to any point and figure out a counter for it. Through this process, I am able to better form my own opinions rather than just blindly picking a position and digging in.

At least that is what works for me.

Unknown said...

I would have to say you have Mastered that particular art.

Tina said...

Yeah - I've seen you do that flip-flop very effectively.

I also like to educate myself as much as possible on an issue and hear all sides before forming my own opinion.

That being said, I really like chocolate.