April 05, 2007

Good Parenting

Where do good parents come from? How do you judge if they are good parents or not?

If I had to narrow it down I would have to say. Consistancy in quality of Attention, Observation and Interaction all tempered with a deep affection and fear.

The only good way to judge a good parent is by checking out thier grandkids. So in my case the jury is out. But, Im not worried.

My parents are my Mom and Pop, The Bingo's, The Moores and Mrs. Vircsik. All of which are shapped concepts and idea's in my mind on how things worked and more importantly helped shape the essence of that aspect of my person.

Add to that life experiences of being the youngest of five and being an Uncle before I was ten years old. I had lots of interactions with lots of baby peoples on various levels.

So far I have three great kids and a very happy home and home-life. Our teens are very open and honest about thier interactions and thier teenage friends take a liking to us as well. The kids all do well in school and have an eye pointed towards collage. They think for themselves and are not afraid of questioning thier teachers, peers and elders.

So I am happy with our results so far. Good thing Tina is a better parent then I am eh?

1 comment:

Tina said...

I wouldn't say I'm "better." We started off with me having the book knowledge, and you having the experience. It's a good mix and we learned from each other.

I feel we're both pretty even now. Most of the time we're a "united front" even if we don't have any discussion about the issue beforehand.

I'm not saying we agree completely all the time - but that's mostly small stuff. Like our ideas about where Trevor should start college. That's an evolving thing right now.

I agree our kids are pretty happy & comfortable in their skin. I don't know if it's our parenting or just changing times - but both Trevor & Diana are a lot more self-confident than I was at their age. Yay!