January 19, 2010

Avatar

My daughter wanted to see Avatar. So Monday we caught the early show here in the 'Burg. Because it is in 3D we had to shell out $8.00 a ticket! They noted an additional $2.50 per ticket fee to cover that third dimension. Okay, so be it. Gah!

The glasses were pretty nice. Actual glass set in plastic framework. The real issue was the overhead lights that never quite go out. They reflect in the curve and are an annoying distraction. I highly recommend some kind of hat or hoodie to eliminate that little glare dot factor.

Yes, I had heard about the Business is Bad! mantra that resonates within the film. Soldiers are looking for any excuse to kill things and blow stuff up. Corporations have no ethics other then the bottom line. People are bad sheep for the most part. The Future is a bleak horrid place. Yadda, yadda, yadda. I had also seen this spoiler commentary on the movie by Fr. Barrons which provided a nice perspective I had not heared elsewhere.

So thus armed I decided on letting go for the adventure and put my thoughts into order afterwards. The special effects are great, the storyline is adequate, if not blatantly obvious, to be a safe theme to showcase the FX. They did a good job of making you boo the villain and cheer the hero. It was very nice to see Sigourney Weaver back in Sci-Fi, nostalgic even.

At the end of the film I was reminded of Shoo's comment after we saw Wizards "They made it look like technology is evil." Trevor, my son, bemoaned that they had not found a better less invasive method of ore extraction despite the obvious technological advances.

What sprung into my mind was "Boy did those Atheists really get their collective butts kicked or what?"

No comments: