January 12, 2010

The bounce

As common sense would tell you, the holiday celebrations can make you gain weight. In my case there was not so much gain as stagnation. I have a few weight loss goals. My first goal is 193 pounds which I am very close too meeting. Using a formula by Dr. GJ Hamwi For men: 106 lb for the first 5 ft; 6 lb for each inch over 5 ft For women: 100 lb for the first 5 ft; 5 lb for each inch over 5 ft . These formulas are designed for a person with a medium size frame. Dr. Hamwi suggests that the results may be reduced by 10% for a person with an obviously light frame, and increased by 10% for a person with a heavy frame.

So for my height Light Frame: 158 lb. Heavy Frame: 193 lb.

To figure your Frame size they like the wrist measurement.
(for men)
large: wrist size over 7.5"
medium: wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
small: wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"

In my mind I feel 185 is my ideal weight. While it is a goal, I am more interested in finding out my body composition (percentage of body fat). The problem there is locating a local way to measure that via submersion (considered highly accurate).

Over the last few weeks I have been bounding and rebounding between 197 and 207. Mostly by my own indulgence, well... I guess ALL by my own indulgence.

So this week I hardened my resolve and started being systematic in my calorie counting.

3 comments:

flyingvan said...

Take a 55 gallon barrel. Fill it with water (or OJ, or chocolate sauce...Doesn't matter)fill it clear to the rim. Strip naked. Exhale, jump in, submerge yourself. Get out and measure how much water was displaced (Pi/r/sq,x height of now empty space)

Tina said...

You got one of those barrels hanging around?

Lee can't even submerge himself in our bathtub - it's too small.

flyingvan said...

I do! Well, it's full of used motor oil, but it'll still work the same. I did the formula (6' tall. 7 3/4" wrist..) 106+72x1.1=195.8. By the scale here at work I'm 0.2 pounds overweight.