April 15, 2009

The Holiday Conundrum

 Holiday time comes with the inevitable claiming that commercialization has ruined the celebration.  Sometimes this comment is greeted with a chorus of agreements and nods.  One has to ponder why someone would decry yet participate in such a decision.

Keeping the holiday spirit is an internal endeavor. By celebrating in tradition and holding it within oneself you transcend the materialistic.

The next time there is a distressing cry about the holidays, I hope to hear a voice state, that they choose not to participate with the commercialization.  With luck that voice will not be mine alone.

5 comments:

flyingvan said...

I guess this is one of the rare times I disagree with you. There have been some well done commercials that bring some Holiday spirit and the schill is secondary. There are lots of businesses that represent some good entrepeneurial spirit, and employ people. I don't see a conflict as long as the material pleasures are secondary to the main reason for celebration

Tina said...

I still think Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. is not just a ploy by the card companies & if there isn't a 'day' to recognize special people and events, then those folks are often forgotten.

I like the nationwide reminders to remember this stuff, along with the religious holidays.

I love celebrations. I'll invite everyone, but they get to choose whether they want to participate or not.

Must be my German heritage. Those folks have 3 months off every year for vacation & they celebrate just about anything that CAN be celebrated!

Unknown said...

Steve,

I was focused on the whiners. I guess that did not come across as intended.

I enjoy the Christmas decor of our downtown shops.

keeka said...

I think I know what you mean, Lee. Because our school is a Christian school, there are some parents so upset by a bunny on the napkins at their kids Easter parties that they would complain to the director. I feel as long as I am stressing what the holiday is about and the children are learning about it, what difference does it make what the napkins look like? This goes the same for other holidays as well.

keeka said...

Oh, and some go so far as not celebrating the holiday at all in protest! Just ask your wife about Christmas! (Not that she never did, but we know someone...)