October 28, 2009

Dollhouse

Maybe it was heightened expectations. After all Firefly had such untapped potential that it was crushing to see it die too soon. It is still one of the best shows never seen. Funny in that if it was BBC it would be a full series....

Joss himself lamented over the problems with season one and boy were they deep. Every so often (not often enough) you would get a glimpse of something, only to tune in next week to find it was nothing. I have considerably lowered expectations now, the last week was more "meh" then riveting, still it was better then the entirety of last season. I really have a wait and see attitude that is yawningly away from loosing me.

With my DVR I decided to watch Angel. I had never gotten a chance due to the WB oddness that occurred (suddenly it wasn't a broadcast channel, then it was dumped from various services) . As luck would have it, TNT shows it early in the AM. Two shows a day, so I can play catchup in a minimal amount of time.

This show has everything that Echo and crew are missing. A flawed hero, character conflicts, confused loyalties, plot twists and delicious dialog. It is character driven with a weave of plot lines that get to the edge logic and reason, with that lucky device of a magical world.

I can only imagine that Joss has lost his mojo for creating interesting, engaging characters when looking at Dollhouse. At this point I am biding my time for Chuck to start up.

Oh, White Collar started this week. It was pretty fun and on my keep watching list.

6 comments:

Tina said...

Yeah - White Collar was fun. It's a Catch-Me-If-You-Can theif who got caught and is now working with the FBI agent who caught him.

The FBI uses his insight to catch more 'white collar' criminals.

This one is a USA show - like Burn Notice, Psych & Leverage (I think those are all USA). All of which I like better than a lot of mainstream programs. :)

keeka said...

I don't know, I have to say I absolutely love "Castle", the novelist turned detective's helper!
The main character is wonderful and if I am not mistaken is the same guy that was in either "Firefly" or "Serenity"...oh wait I just googled Nathan Fillion and he was in both! Anyway, don't know if you have tried this show out but it is fun and still has an edge about it!

Unknown said...

Firefly was the ill fated TV series. Serenity was the movie. Yes, he was the lead in both.

After that he played the enigmatic Captain Hammer in Doctor Horrible's sing a long blog (must see).

Castle is a fun romp.

Tina said...

The beginning of the last episode - the costume he was trying on for Halloween was his Serenity & Firefly outfit. He was a space cowboy :) I LOVE that they did that on Castle. GREAT fun show :)

keeka said...

Oh man, I think I missed the very beginning of that one! Is that where he was having a halloween party? I think I had a really bad headache so I stopped watching. I will check and see if I had the brain power to record it!

Unknown said...

Just hulu and watch it.