October 01, 2009

Something about WiFi

Wi-Fi - A brand name developed by the Wi-Fi Alliance to ensure compatibility among products which communicate data wireless via the IEEE 802.11 Standard. It is not an acronym.

or

"Wi-Fi" Means your wireless data device that conforms to the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) standard number 802.11 can work at that location. Note: the use of the word 'can' in that last sentence.

The library in which I work has free wireless Internet access (Wi-Fi). We regularly have several patrons taking advantage of this service. Every so often we have patrons with a lack of understanding about how Wi-Fi works and the inability to accept possibilities. For example...

One of our Reference desk people called up the tech department to let us know the Wi-Fi was not working. As we started drilling down to find the "real" issue (which is something you just need to do with technical issues). We found something amiss and headed out to the floor to confirm.

The patrons Laptop was not connecting to the Internet and not seeing the Wi-Fi signal (nor the signal from the Tavern across the street). Further, several other patrons were busy doing Myspace, watching You Tube and playing games over the Internet, via the Wi-Fi connection.

Wi-Fi is a radio signal, it beams from a device called an Access Point, which both receives and transmits. This radio wave goes out in a circular pattern and depending upon certain obstacles has a range in the hundreds of feet. If you are in this "circle" your computer should see the signal identifier and be able to connect to the signal in some fashion. If the laptop to your left and laptop to your right are connected, you can deduce you are indeed in range and the issue is not the Access point. Logical so far?

Informing the patron that the problem appears to be with her computer was taken personally...

"Okay, we do have a strong signal going and several people are online without any issue. I wonder if your wifi device is turned off?"

"No, its not turned off. I come here all the time and my laptop connects perfectly! You need to fix your Internet."

"The Internet is working for all these other people, could I possibly take a look at your system? Maybe I could see something?"

"No, I do not want you touching my computer! It works every time I come here, the problem has to be with YOUR Internet!"

"I am sorry ma'am but there isn't anything I can do on our side to connect your computer. It could be your wireless is not working for some reason. I would be more then happy to look on your Laptop."

"It is not my laptop, it is working fine. For some reason I think you have blocked me"

"Nothing else I can do here then. I am sorry"

"So you are refusing to fix your Internet?"

"It is working fine, otherwise the other patrons would not be able to connect"

"I do not know why your Internet has blocked my computer, but this just is not right!"

"Again, I am sorry ma'am. I am willing to check your computer, but that would be your call"


And I backed away slowly...

No comments: