November 06, 2009

Happy is a pretty simple definition, right?

Just to warn you, I am a bit irk'd at the moment. In that tiny universe called Face Book, there are bunches of friends from various points in my life that gather. One of them is the definition of kindness and sweetness, what you would call a really good person.

She is of a political slant similar to mine and posted on her support of traditional marriage. This invoked the rage of someone else who sputtered from discussion to argument to name calling to ad hominem and diatribes. This is not the first time this person has done this. I was the recipient at one point. I opted to ban and say "go away," as there was nothing useful or positive or even worthwhile being offered.

If you do not agree with me on point x your not a real friend, your not fair and good, you are angry, you are judgmental, you are racist, etc. I am right you agree with me or be CAST OUT! *sigh*

"No human trait deserves less tolerance in everyday life, and gets less, than intolerance." --Giacomo Leopardi

There is some comfort in surrounding yourself with people who agree with you, act like you do, hold your same values. There is great value in questioning beliefs, paradigms, choices. I often marvel at the ability of give and take in arguments.

A true debater can argue multiple sides of a topic and still hold a personal belief. A very strong belief as it is formulated on a solid bedrock of knowledge.

I can only surmise that lashing out like that is some fear based reaction, because confidence in your own belief is challenged and you lack the maturity to accept a change of view.

How important is it to be right? I guess we could ask Galileo..

2 comments:

flyingvan said...

That whole repartee was....odd. Unfortunately all of her side of the discussion disappeared. What makes it really difficult was, I didn't even know what part was offensive. Since I don't know or care about her beliefs or orientation, why was a personal attack assumed? Discussion is great. I just wish more people put energy into demonstrating tolerance instead of just insisting on it.

Unknown said...

She put a block on your FB. So she cannot see you, you cannot see her.

I did the same following, again personal, attacks.

Tina's fb has the entire dialog (diatribe?) if you are that curious.