November 21, 2009

Shopping heard around the world.

Food shopping has come under my dominion. That came hand in hand with meal planning. You would not think the two are mutually exclusive. At one point in time we would look for something to make one night only to discard idea's due to a key ingredient missing. Or there would be a drive to the market prior to execution of supper.

In Europe, I understand, there is a daily shopping that occurs. While there may already be a concept for the weeks food, the bulk of items are shopped that day.

Once upon a time, going shopping would mean going to various shops. Either a Butcher, or Fishmonger, produce, canned goods and sundry items. There are quite a few people who have a nostalgia for that even view it as a superior ideal. My thinking is that idea jaundiced by retrospect. Most of the shops had very limited selection, so your meals would be a tight rotation of meat and potato's or something that was localized.

Personally I like having my two weeks of meals listed with full list of ingredients that I can check my pantry then fill in the blanks at the store.

Is it better or worse then EU or the 'good ol days'?

Having been asked:I do not think that simplistic of a question is appropriate in the complexity or in the assumption that there is an issue.

4 comments:

flyingvan said...

I'm struggling with the combination of a vegan diet and two weeks between shopping trips.

Unknown said...

Just shows your lack of experience for both. Maybe we should put you in charge... isn't that the current trend?

flyingvan said...

Our system is, I stop at Los Coches on the way home. Typically I work 24, 48 or 72 hour shifts and get relieved at 07:00 am. Los Coches is halfway home in my hour drive so it's a nice stop. There is a Walmart and a Vons; nearby there's a roadside fruit stand and a Mom 'n Pop grocery that has better produce for cheaper than Vons. I always call home for a small list. Then once every two weeks AnnaMarie does the big shopping trip.
She knows not to let me freelance shop

Unknown said...

rereading my comment it comes across much more snarky then I intended.