January 17, 2007

The state of entertainment

I cannot think of a new TV show that has caught my attention in about three years. Of all the movies comming out only a handful even looks interesting to me. The radio plays music that is so fragmented for the first time I cannot think of artists representing the sound of this current decade. There has not been a musical video in forever.

So what is up with the state of entertainment?

I'm thinking some kind of saturation point has been reached. In typical supply and demand economics we have an abundance of Entertainment and so Demand is going way way down.

It is going to get worse before it gets better. I keep thinking of the NHL as way of an analogy.

It used to be there was only six teams:
Montreal Canadians, Toronto Maple Leafes, Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, and the New York Rangers.

The talent on these teams was first rate. So few slots and so many players made every team a team of all stars. The NHL finally expanded to stop upstart leagues from filling the Void. More teams the talent level dropped.

No comments: