August 05, 2008

MMORPG's appeal



Women are playing computer games, no shock there really. Yes, the XY set have the lions share. Slowly this section of the public is doing more then that solo card game.
Personal experience: My wife first had a character in Asherons Call back in 2000. While it was an interesting change from watching TV and later a way of getting her exercise in the appeal shot way up with two things.
The addition of dresses and hats.
While we have long since dropped AC for WoW (World of Warcraft), the guild we played in still honors her memory by allowing people to wear 'Fez's' in game meetings.
yeah, weird to me too. Still....
So WoW has non-combat, non-functional pets in game, various clothing items and fun events widely incorporated, that obviously panders to the XX set. Which is a good thing.

1 comment:

Tina said...

I want some of those outrageously huge pauldrons with bones sticking out of them.

Mine always look like little caps on my shoulders. At least on Keight.

I don't do the dresses so much in WoW because I need the pack space. I do a lot more questing in WoW I think. In AC I would hang out & chat a lot more. In WoW, I just chat while I'm questing :)

The mounts are a big draw for me too. Cats, birds, horses - all fun things. Plus you move around a lot faster. In AC, the higher you got in level, the faster you ran, and there were portals for distance travel. I dunno if they have mounts in AC now. Thought so.

I'm just glad I don't have to make stacks & stacks of arrows anymore :P