November 11, 2008

MSM posting advertisements as news..

A while back my doctor wanted me to go on Statin's to help balance my HDL and LDL levels to some "healthy" numbers on some chart. After being on them for a week I started having problems standing up, that is to say, my knees hurt and I had to use my arms to transition from sitting to standing. At a family gathering, my brothers and sisters deduced it was in deed the Statin's and went on to tell their own stories of side effects. A call to my doctor and he said STOP TAKING THEM. He had told me to watch if my joints would hurt. They didn't hurt, they just got weak.

So I stopped them and my strength came back. We tried a few different ones and had smiler side effects.

So imagine my surprise to see this headline: The Benefits Healthy People Receive From Statin Drugs

Then the other shoe dropped today from Doctor John McDougals site: Advertising Passed Off As Research Confuses the Public Again

Dr. McDougal is an advocate for healthy diet and exercise over medication, so he had an agenda. He does point out the serious flaws in the study and documents them as well.

If your Doctor wants to put you on Statins, stop them from running to the next patient and ask the questions to get info about side effects. Also, ask your pharmacist as well. If your reaction is anything like mine, it will near cripple you and it will come on so slowly you may not relate it to the medicine.

1 comment:

flyingvan said...

As a job requirement, we have to go to the 'wellness center'. They test about a quart of blood, do the 12 lead treadmill, feats of strength, x-rays, and more---then prescribes statin drugs. To just about everybody. I was suspicious since the clock, pens, clipboards, even the doctor's watch say levastatin on them. Also, the threshold numbers have dropped significantly to the point that nearly everyone is recommended to take them.
I will not take them, and my own physician agreed. Treating a number, without any other symptoms or abnormal lab values, seems irresponsible.