November 17, 2008

Shoo and Rob

Robert, Robbie, Bob, Shoo, Boobert, Bobby. How redundant is it when your two best friends share the same first name? Well, not exactly. I recall when I first got to know them, Shoo was Robbie and Robert was... well, Robert. Got do know them, is not as accurate as, became aware of their existence in the universe. Because, I can not recall actually meeting them.

I do know we went to the same elementary school. Shoo recalls us getting into trouble in a class room and being made to sit apart from each other. Robert I recall playing around on the field and Roger K. being there. Forced to define a point in time were friendship occurred, would probably be in Cub Scouts.

Living in Southern California in the same suburban housing tract was wonderful. Being easily within running distance of great friends, still far enough away that you had to let your folks know where you were playing. And we had quite a mix of family dynamic to witness. I was the youngest of five. Rob and Shoo knew my sister Myrna. I am sure they met my various other sib's along the way, just not sure on the who and when. Having a 15 year gap between oldest and myself, makes for a family going in quite a few directions. Rob had one brother, Shoo had two. I was around for Darren's entry into the world. Both Shoo and Rob had fights with their brothers. Something I never had experience first hand.

We all had our back yards as well. Mine had a pool, Shoo's was huge with quite a bit of vegetation to hide in and play "shoot-em-up", add to that a tower and play fort. Rob had a small backyard guarded by a vicious dog that would eat you. That dog scared the crap out of me. I kept expecting it to tear Rob limb from limb when he went outside. Rob also had a tree house and "the ditch".

California had these series of open air rivers that would whisk away ran water. This was just over his fence, and we could go play there. Unless the helicopter came over, then we would jump back over the fence or hide.

We had quite an adventurous childhood. Plenty of camping, long scout trips, visiting with relatives, playing Lego's, eating baked Alaska, riding mopeds, going to the beach on county buses, various classes in various schools with various teachers.

Did we always get along? No. Any fights were few and far between. It was one of those things where you couldn't stay mad long. Not sure we ever apologized in a formal sense. We just forgave.

We participated in each others weddings, without expectation. We try to meet online every Sunday and Tuesday, that in and of itself is a blast.

Anyways, I have been thinking about the extended family concept recently. I wanted to shout out to my two non-blood brothers. My life is much richer for knowing them.

Thanks Rob, Thanks Shoo (thank yous posted alphabetically)

3 comments:

- Rob said...

You're welcome. You and Shoo have made growing up fun. I hope it doesn't stop being fun when we are finished growing up.

Stella by Starlight said...

Lee, I grew up and still live in So Cal. There's nowhere else I'd rather be. Your post reminds me of my own childhood. I am reminded of my own extended family. I admire your regard for your friends.

Rob, you can mature, but you don't have to grow up.

Thanks for this post, Lee. It was so nice getting away from politics.

shoo said...

I couldn't ask for better, more decent friends. I learn a lot from oth of you: I am a better person, and my life richer for it.

When the time comes for us to reroll this life, I hope we meet up and do it all over again.