September 29, 2008

British Television

Only Bollywood puts out more Entertainment then the US. If you go to any video rental store, you will find rack after rack of forgettable movies.

With quantity, quality suffers. Of course it is a business and return for the dollar is the name of the game. There is so much more to the game then that, however, studios are money focused.

When going through my list of favorite TV shows. I find a goodly portion where made in Britan. Take Fawlty Towers, this gem was made back in the mid 1970's and still brings me to tears of laughter. The Black Adder, Monty Python, Red Dwarf, Blake's 7 and of course, Doctor who, all make me think of what TV should be. Don't get me wrong there are gobs of good US television, just quite a bit of crap as well.

Shows which have a beginning, middle and end are rare in the US. Some shows will be lucky enough to have a 'last episode.' Others will languish in limbo, unless they are re-made. The general public seems fine with TV shows that are infinite but we need movies with a definite ending.

Maybe it is the fact that 12 episodes will be a full run in the UK, while 24 episodes is a first season here. How hard is it to craft something week after week for half a year, compared to a more leisurely two weeks?

Still, it is an industry, we really need entertainment. I mean, without thousands of television channels, megaplex theaters with 30 screens, we would have to just sit around being with people. Hmmmm.

3 comments:

flyingvan said...

There are some gems out out of Bollywood---'Bride and Prejudice' being one. Annamarie could name a few others. My new rule is, I'm going to spend more time every day doing cardio vascular exercise/work than time in front of tv/computer combined. Uh-oh gotta go

Tina said...

Or you combine the cardio WITH the computer - or at least a portion thereof (say, while you play an MMORPG).

I have also found that Tivo cut significantly back on my TV consumption. Unless it's something that's made my list of stuff to watch, I'm not gonna even turn on the TV.

My list is about 3-7 shows, depending on the time of year.

I don't watch repeats either.

Bob Keller said...

I'm a big fan of British television, too. I'm not sure what I'd do without BBC America. My TiVo To Do List is generally loaded with BBC fair.

I also think you make a great observation abut British televisions 12 and 13 episode seasons. The short season improves creativity and writing.

I would be really remiss if I didn't suggest you pick up an undscovered gem when it finally comes out on DVD later this year, Javier Grillo-Marxuach's The Middleman.

There are only 12 episodes and Grillo-Marxuach knew he had only 12 episodes to tell his story. It is an amazing work of both television and literature. The network gave Grillo-Marxuach free reign with absolutely no interference. And he created a show that can be watched and enjoyed on multiple levels, from a great comedy storyline that rivals Don Adams great Get Smart, to an in depth tribute to our most cherished cultural icons.

You can actually watch each episode several times just to get all the iconic references.

I've written more about this great series here.