September 19, 2008

Family is friends

I have been blessed with a wonderful family. That is to say my Mom and Pop blessed me with a wonderful family. Parents tend to get blame, so why not?

My brothers and sisters all live within two hours of driving from me. (note, this is about my side of the family so no one take that wrong)

Donna, Jim, Kraig, Nancy, Karen, Myrna, Doug.

They begat my nieces and nephews; Brian, Marla, Anthony, Jeff, Karrie, Megan, Collyn, Jon, Crystal, Dan. (there are a few in-laws left out for some brevity.)

Marla, Anthony, Megan, Jon and Crystal live out of state. We are pretty close knit and stay in touch. Rita, James, Benjamin and Joshua are the start of the next Generation. But, now I am kinda side tracked.

Diana (my middle kid) moved away to collage last week. It has left a whole in the household that the rest of us are filling in deed, but will never be really be filled. She is starting out on her own and learning all those fun lessons, that you really cannot teach.

Her chief means of transportation is a rather old bike. Her collage made quite a few warnings about lack of places or need for cars and I believe them. Besides, the bus and the bike combo means you can make it anyplace fairly easily. Well, one of those lessons came about in the form of a flat bike tire. I guess I have had pretty good luck, because I have not fixed a bike flat in thirty years. On the downside, my daughter has never been exposed to fixing a tire.

I explained how it works and she understood the concept, still, watching someone do something sticks in the brain better. So now she is at school and I am at home..

Jeff, as noted above, is my nephew who lives about 10 min away from Diana now. I had already broached the subject of asking him to be a go to guy so she would have family to call upon. So I called him up and asked if he had the time to help out. He did and she got her bike back up and rolling.

I now have this sense of immense gratitude and a really nice comfortable feeling that Jeff has her back. It made the distance between where she is and were we are much smaller. Because of family.

2 comments:

flyingvan said...

Was it only flat on the bottom?

Renee' B. said...

well lucky her....i wish i had family near by...oh wait i do!! ont my blog lol glad she can get around and do stuff...that makes me even feel more relieved...