May 30, 2009

ache's and pains



For some reason my right knee has started hurting.  Its actually below the knee in the medial colletral ligaments.  Logic states it is due to my biking to and from work.

More in depth I am not fond of travelling to and fro.  I would rather be there, I am the  person patiently waiting for teleportation.  

So here is the breakdown.  I want to include about 450 calories burned a day doing exercise.  This is about and hours worth of walking at a brisk pace.  My house is just under a mile away and it takes me approx. 13 minutes to traverse one direction.  If I jog parts I can cut three minutes off that time and get to my destination faster.

I  know in the back of my mind that I could run the whole thing and make it there in under six minutes.  Of course this desire to get there pushes me to go that much faster and probably why my knee hurts now and why my foot got injured.  

Leave it to me to be impatient about getting someplace.

3 comments:

Tina said...

The reason I bike as much as I do, is to exercise & protect my knees which have been messed up since I twisted them both when I was 16 (two different incidents).

There's a big difference between a stationary bike & biking outside, which is another reason I use the stationary. I'm using mostly quadracepts (thigh) and gluts (butt) and there's almost no stress on my knees. There's also no upper body work other than core muscles sitting upright. But this is just for my cardio and that's it.

Either you have to slow up on the biking, and do a longer distance to get the calories in, or wait until you're healed & drive in the meantime. I don't know what you want to try to do the burn the cals during your day then.

Still thinking the Wii Fit might be a good idea...

flyingvan said...

If it's your ACL or something due to repetetive motion, you could try slightly changing positions. Get clip-in pedals and biker shoes, or simply raise the bicycle seat. Can you swim to work?

keeka said...

Only when it rains, right Lee? hehe
Well, there is always a recumbant bike? I heard those are easier on the knees, but prolly big bucks.
I say do the Tina thing!
Good Luck and don't give up!