May 21, 2009

Comedy

I married one of the best audience members that a comic could ever hope for.  Tina appreciates a funny joke or story.  Add to that her laugh is health and fun to hear, one of those kinds of laughs you cannot help but smile or laugh along yourself.

I myself enjoy humor, irony, sarcasm, schadenfreude and anecdote's with the best of them. I am more likely to smile at these then laugh.  On rare occasions when I find myself laughing really hard, people who know me are shocked at the sight.  My mother and father-in-law once came downstairs to see who was making that sound.

When it comes to humor I find myself at odds with obscene use of language.  The use of the colorful metaphor can shut down the humor centers of my brain, this is not always the case though.

For instance Robin Williams, when he is on stage and spews the stuff out I see it taking from the performance.  Kevin Smith it enhances his stories.  The clean comics, Seinfeld, Foxworthy and Jim Gaffigan can bring tears of laughter and still be family viewing.    Bringing a 10 year old to a Dane Cook show, would probably get a parent squirming.

It is a gift to have a wide range of appeal.

1 comment:

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

I think that Lenny Bruce was clearly the "founding father" here.It was him who started this whole profanity in humor thing.