May 16, 2009

A backwards poet writes inverse.

So there is this guy at work.  He likes to talk about other peoples bad choices and how they ignore his sage advice, which if followed, would result in a much better world.

It is amusing because of his own inability to follow advice he agrees he should follow.  Having been on both sides of the advice business, I realize that situations often do not conform to advice.  Someone touting what you should and why you should, does not have the entire complexity of an issue in view.

There is this strong desire in us to resolve issues, this is particularly true with men.  

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. [1855 H. G. Bohn Hand-Book of Proverbs 514]

1 comment:

flyingvan said...

Somebody came up to me a few days ago at work and said the advice I gave him really helped fix (a fairly major) problem. I was floored. This guy repeated back to me the advice I gave, applied it, recognized positive results, and had the humility to come back and tell me about it. Nothing anyone has done has impressed me that much in a long time, and I'm going to remember how good that made me feel.