May 14, 2009

Punitive Benifits

So due to a cut in the budget, we were all informed that our hours are going to be cut for the next fiscal year.  Not sure how we are going to weather that.  Belts are pretty tight now.  I will be looking for other employment opportunities.  The fact where we live is at 20% unemployment and the current administration seems to be doing everything in its power to raise that number is not helping.

Now I find out I am going to be dinged even more.  When you work full time for the County you must have health insurance.  I actually fought this, as I have full coverage under my wives job.  There is no way to opt out of coverage, so I picked up the plan that took zero out of my pay.

It is a low tier coverage with a high deductible.  With my hours reduced I will now be charged for this coverage.  Until the next enrollment period in November.  It seems like I am being forced to take health insurance that I do not want, need nor require.  

Our HR department is working on something and the ask for time.  But, the clock is ticking.

My mind is trying to figure out what other alternatives I have.  One is to put in my two weeks notice then get rehired as part time, so I can opt out of the insurance.  Of course then I loose my accrued vacation and sick leave.  While I would be able to cash out of vacation time, I prefer to actually have the days.  I can live with that though.

Or I could ask payroll to stop deducting the payment to the insurance company from my paycheck and thereby be cancelled.  Which could carry some kind of negative forward.  

Add to that the fact the School District is in a bind and they may be cutting positions, including my wife's.  More and more it is looking like a great time to win the lottery.  Wheee.

No comments: