May 27, 2009

Weighty Questions

Someone recently inquired in regards to how much better I feel having lost some weight (I tipped the scales at 285, currently I am 220ish).  My recent loss of 40 pounds should have some positive effects right?

Do I feel any different?  Not really...

Do I have more energy?  Not that I have noticed, seems about the same.

Am I sleeping better?  Maybe, my wife says my snoring has stopped.  Then again, I have never needed oodles of sleep.  As it is, I still wake up around 5:00 AM and lay around until I either sleep or 6:15 rolls around.  

What have I noticed?  At the upper ends of weight sitting in a chair and tie my shoes would require me holding my breath as I tied.  My belt appears to be getting longer.  My pants are more likely to creep downwards.  I was able to get up and over Douglas hill on my bike after two days .vs. the week it took last time. 

When I look in the mirror I do not notice any change either.  In fairness this is a smaller rectangle mirror that is to my left side in the bathroom.  I generally do not look at any other reflections.  My blood work was good, per my doctor.  

I was expecting Doc Rose, to comment on my weight loss (245 down to 228).  He was reading and asking me some questions about my current state.  I decided to point out the loss.  He corrected that my weight was written as 240.  A trip back to the scale told the tale.  All my blood work is great and even my insulin intolerance (read Type II diabetes) is trending downwards.  Good BP and pulse as well.

My next goal is to get in the 2 hundred 'teens'.   After that it is to drop down to the 190's

I have been doing the royal court of exercised (three body weight).  I wish I could be more diligent but I cannot seem to do it that way.  So it has been hit and miss.  Due to an injury on the arch of my right foot I have gone from walking to biking to work.  So I had to modify my route to try to keep the same calorie burn.

Currently I am averaging around 1450 calories a day. According to my RMR that puts me at a 6000 calorie per week deficit.   This is week four of a ten weeks (Ends July 18th).

I guess I should be feeling "better"  maybe there are more positives I would be noticing however things like our country going down the toilet under the current administration, no jobs, massive government growth and spending is kinda stressful.

3 comments:

Bob Keller said...

It sounds to me like you are doing an excellent job. But 1450 calories sounds light. You might feel a lot better at 1600 to 1800 hundred calories, even though the wieght loss would be more gradual.

Keep in mind that a weight loss program actually pits you against your body and your metabolism. It is, in fact, a fight! Your body desires to weigh a certian amount and you are retraining it. It does affect how you feel.

Unknown said...

Wiz, thanks for dropping by!

Yes, 1400 to 1500 is extreme. But, that fits well with my goal oriented mindset.

I had not considered the actual activity of weight loss itself as having a negative impact on "feeling better".

Thanks for the insight

- Rob said...

I never understood the "you should feel better" thing with weight loss. I always just assumed that I was missing out on something that everyone else felt. Like you, my clothes tend to fit better and my belt gets longer with weight loss. However, I feel the same level of energy and health either way.

I understand that weight loss is a good thing, but the benefits are generally less apparent to me.