October 16, 2008

Guud ole 'merkan Engrish,

I have this 'thing' about writing. My mind will come up with something and I will formulate everything I want to say in a large mass, when I finally get to the computer and begin typing it is a long flow of consciousness to get all this stuff out of my brain then onto the page.

Usually I will go back through the mess and parse it into better sentences and eliminate redundant stuff. I usually edit out about one-third of what I organically wrote.

Then I publish the post and immediately go back into the posts and edit and spell check. Yes, I could spell check before I publish, I have in the past done just that. The bulk of the time I totally just forget about that or my mouse clicking hand decided to go about its business without input from my mind.

Spell check is important because most of the time there are words that I have no clue how to spell. Words like their, aren't you're are an example. Other words I will type out something close and the spell checker ignores because it is a real word.

Punctuation completely eludes me. I do get the sentence ends (.?!) although I will extend a sentence until it crosses the Pacific ocean. So writing I am more about content then grammar and punctuation and spelling.

In order to 'improve' this aspect of my writing I am going to try Lynne Truss as a mentor. I'll let you be the judge if it helps.

2 comments:

flyingvan said...

If I ever read what I wrote out loud it doesn't flow well. All the sentences are about the same length. Also, I overuse the semicolon; it is a way to break a run on sentence. Using this technique too often is annoying to read; people shouldn't do it too much.
You should take punctuation lessons from Keeka---end everything with an exclamation point or two!!

Tina said...

Ah, but you see, that's also how Keeka talks!

I have been known to do the same!!

:)