October 17, 2008

Saint Gormand of the restricted bowels.

This is Brad Sciullo he is 5-foot-11, 180-pound.
The item in the foreground is the Beer Barrel Belly Bruiser: a 15-pound burger with toppings and a bun that brought the total weight to 20.2 pounds.

Brad "ate that thang" in 4 hours and 39 minutes.

Back in the day I was not unlike Michael Phelps. That is to say I was in swimming, I was a swimmer. Being a So. Cal. boy having a pool was not an oddity. Hours upon hours did the chlorinated water entertain myself and my friends.

Physically I was in pretty good shape. Now I am trying to recapture that old shape. *sigh*. During this period of time I could consume mass amounts of food without it clinging tenaciously to my body as stored fat. Also, I could go for a full day without eating and feel fine. I would drink Coke by the liter as well. Life was good.

If I went to McDonald's for lunch I would typically get two quarter pounders, a large fry, a Large Coke (no refills then), Strawberry Shake, Apple pie. Then I would wonder if I should get a regular cheeseburger, just to top off.

I could eat a Large Shakeys pizza solo or consume a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese with a Quesadilla with sour cream and salsa. In my prime, my stomach acid was the universal solvent.

During this era I was six foot and between 185 and 190 lbs. Never did I come across anyone who could eat as much food in the short amount of time I could. Save one.

Jim V. (Brother of Flying Van) was that person. He was around 5'10" and 130 lbs. (guessing). He could power down, what seemed like, half his body weight in one sitting. Impressive amounts of food. From what I have spotted he is still slight of frame as well. Genetics are in his favor there.

If you look up the Gastro Athletes you see that the best of them are these skinny guys that look way too small to do what they do. Laws of Irony at work eh?

2 comments:

flyingvan said...

Do you still swim? I used to swim La Jolla Cove whenever I got off work @ Station 9 (2 mile ocean swim) I physically could NOT pass McDonalds afterwards. I think it's a combination of exercise and just being in cold water that strips away some serious calories.
The younger fireline firefighters I work with eat a tremendous amount of food. It's a logistical nightmare.

Tina said...

You heard Shoo's comment at the reunion, right?

"You know that Michael Phelps looks like he's in really good shape. I think I'll go on his diet & eats the same stuff he does."