July 07, 2009

ebrious intent

One of the more unusual aspects of my person has been my relationship with Adult Beverages. It is indirectly related to my stubbornness. Way back in time, I would guess I was on my 13th orbit (give or take) of Earth, I had an encounter with a person of note about consumption of alcohol. Said person informed me that imbibing was something kids do at some point as an experiment and further that after you start you will want to continue. I denied that I would succumb and was laughed at and informed that I had no choice.

My mental state at that time was more "I'll show them" and that little decision was cemented into my grey matter. Other then the sacramental sip, I became a tea-totaller. While I have no idea if this impacted the people I hung around with, I do not recall much, if any, underage drinking around me. Oh sure there was the occasional party in which I found myself the caretaker and car key retrieval. Maybe it is more accurate to say it influenced who I hung around with.

As I became drinking age, I had already lost any interest. It was expensive and exponentially bad. That is to say, it dulls your judgement to not drink more, so it is some kind of spiral for the less then careful.

I did finally break out of the self imposed restriction, but not to any degree other then a Mikes hard lemonade or Bacardi raz. Still, I was met with some surprise that I consumed when I met up with friends last year.

My thinking is I did not miss much in the hangover and puking area. So there you go Person of note. Nyahhh!

2 comments:

Tina said...

I can remember when we met - I was 21 & you were 22, and you told me you didn't drink.

My response was, "You don't drink? EVER?"

I had never met any adult (least of all young adult) who never drank alcohol.

keeka said...

I never touched the stuff until I started working at Disneyland. Huh, weird huh?
Ah well, I still avoid drinking a lot at any given time. I am a fluff drinker anyway. I like the fru-fru drinks. Though I will do a martini now and again, mostly it is when Carl and I go to Vegas. They have really good drinks and the food is so good and I eat so much that the alcohol doesn't register that much. Kind of : )